The acronym S.M.A.R.T. stands for:
- SPECIFIC: Using detail to accurately describe each objective, goal, and/or action.
- MEASURABLE: Defining success criteria for each objective, goal, or action using quantifiable metrics to allow for easy and credible performance assessment.
- ACHIEVABLE (or ATTAINABLE): A consideration of the personal time, energy, and resource available to invest in the coming year. Additionally, a recognition and respect for existing and/or changing environmental conditions and/or external factors.
- RELEVANT (or REALISTIC): Creating objectives, goals, and actions that are pertinent to the life of the individual and that are compatible and complimentary when viewed collectively.
- TIME-BOUND: Where possible, specifying the date for completing objectives, achieving goals, or completing actions at or before year’s end. Specify earlier dates for those items that should be met or completed prior to the end of year.
Be sure to use these S.M.A.R.T. tips as you fill out your planning worksheet. Still need the guide? Download here for free.